Friday, November 9, 2012

Mason Jar Snow Globe - Anthropologie Inspired DIY

Anthropologie is my favorite store by a long, long shot.

Interestingly enough, I don't own a single Anthropologie item. Not one.

My reasons are strictly monetary, I can't afford $200 sweaters or $50.00 measuring cups. I still love to walk through the store and get ideas for my home, I always come out with so much inspiration for projects and ways to dress up pieces of furniture or worn out clothes.

This is the latest project I tackled...


Supplies Needed: 

1 Mason Jar - choose one with very clear glass, some have a sort of textured look which doesn't look great with this project. EDIT: You can find a perfect jar for this project for $2.57 at Hobby Lobby. 

2 (or more) model size Christmas trees - these can be found at Michael's or any hobby store near the model train set items, sizes vary, you can get smaller trees and put multiple trees in one snow globe or one larger one, whatever makes your skirt fly up. 

Silver glitter (optional) 

White glitter 

Hot glue gun 


Step 1

Clean your mason jar and dry it thoroughly, the glitter will stick to the inside of the jar if you don't get it totally dry. 


Step 2 

Get your hot glue gun going... 


Here's the tree I chose 


It's obviously not covered in silver glitter...I considered adding a bit to it but I liked the plain snow better. I also happen to not have any silver glitter on hand....whatever. 


Make a circle of hot glue on the inside of the mason jar lid building it up about 1/4 inch, this insures that you'll be able to see the little tree above the rim of the jar. Place your tree on top of the glue - don't smash it down, let the glue set elevating the tree a little bit. 


Step 3 

The glitter I picked is not quite as insanely shiny as most glitter...it's mixed in with some clear pieces which I liked better than the high shine option. Personal preference, do yo thang. 


Pour about 1/4 - 1/3 cup of glitter into the mason jar depending on the size of your jar, you want it to reach the bottom branches of your Christmas tree. 


Place the lid on the jar, screw it shut and flip it over

ta-da 


Anthropologie charges $48.00 for a mason jar snow globe this size. 

I'm not positive precisely how much I spent on one individual globe but I feel safe in saying it was under $8.00 since I already had the mason jar. 


xoxo,  

Rae 











No comments:

Post a Comment