Saturday, September 29, 2012

Lampshade *DIY*

This project is extremely easy, cheap and fast.

I also found that it was very necessary in my case, I had two very sad little lampshades on the edge of getting tossed when I decided to give this a whirl.  

Burlap Lampshade *DIY* 


Materials Needed: 
- Scissors 
- 2-inch strips of burlap - the length and number of strips will vary depending on the size of your lamp.
- Hot glue gun 
- Lamp shade needing some love (you need one with a metal frame)  

Step 1: Strip your lampshade 
You want nothing left but the metal frame.

Step 2: Cut your strips 
Get a rough idea of how long your burlap strips need to be, the ends of the strips need to fold over the top and bottom of your lampshade frame with about a half inch to work with on each end.  


The number of strips you'll need depends on how large or small your lampshade is, they need to overlap like this... 


Step 3: Hot glue the strips to the frame, just pick a starting point and get to it - overlapping and gluing the top portion of the burlap strips and then the bottom. 

Here is a picture of the top after I finished gluing...


and the bottom... 


Odd perspective, I had the distinct creepy feeling that I was invading the lamp's privacy. 

The burlap is fairly easy to work with and the measurements are very rough which just adds to the rustic look of the shade. Don't worry about being too precise. 

Finished product... 


This took me about an hour to do, my shade is obviously pretty small and I think it took roughly 7 strips per side to cover the frame and overlap nicely. There you have it! Done and done. 

Next DIY -------> Anthropologie lampshade remake 



 xoxo,

Rachael 










No comments:

Post a Comment